Symptoms and preventions of Online Gaming Addiction by Dr. Pankaj Kumar
Introduction to online gaming
In this modern era of the Internet, Online gaming is becoming very popular among children and adults. In the last few years, pandemic like covid has also significantly boosted online gaming. OFCOM’s annual research shows that gaming is still one of the top activities children and adults enjoy online. Many of them play the game via mobile devices and go online using their game console. From sport-related games to mission-based like BGMI, Counterstrike, and Free fire. These types of games inspire users to complete challenges. The interactive game caters to a wide range of interests and can enable users to link up and play together, and many games allow users to take part in leader boards, join group games and chat with others.
Internet gaming addiction
Growing tolerance towards gaming means the need to spend more time playing. Internet gaming addiction, an increasingly severe public health concern, can have severe long-term consequences such as self–esteem problems, emotional Distress, and impaired cognitive function. The American Psychiatric Association( APA ) includes internal gaming disorder in the appendix of DSM – 5 as a potential diagnosis. The DSM-5 drafted diagnostic criteria for Internet gaming addiction and indicated that further research is warranted regarding the diagnostic criteria for substance use disorders.
Signs and symptoms if you have a gaming addiction:
- If you feel very happy when you are online or playing games, but as soon as you have to stop playing on the mobile or computer, you get angry or upset.
- You always think about gaming when you are supposed to be focusing on other things, like schoolwork or having dinner with family.
- You spend more time with your mobile than hanging out with your friends.
- You get up in the middle of the night to check your email or your Facebook comments because you have a hard time sleeping.
- When your friends and family ask where you spend all your time, you lie about it.
How to seek help?
Get help from your doctor or therapist if the person you are concerned about is your son, daughter, or loved one as soon as you find that gaming time is getting out of hand. For this purpose, you can take help from Dr. Pankaj Kumar, regarded as the best psychiatrist in east Delhi. Studies about treating gaming addiction are also in the early stage. One therapy that can be helpful is CBT ( Cognitive Behaviour Therapy). This mental health counseling teaches you how to relapse thoughts about gaming to help change behavior.
How to Prevent Online gaming addiction?
- Set a time limit for play and stick to them.
- Keep phones and other gadgets out of the bedroom so they won’t play at night.
- Do other activities like yoga, meditation, Exercise, Dance, etc.
You can consult Dr. Pankaj Kumar, the best psychiatrist in East Delhi to get rid of your online gaming addiction.